Sunday, February 28

Relative pronouns

Relative Pronouns- Refers to something which was already said.

Eg.

1) She is the woman who loves me

Pronoun = who

Relative clause = who loves me

Main Action = Loves

Subject = Woman (= who)

Object = me


2) She is the woman whom I love

Pronoun = Whom*

Relative Clause = Whom I love

Main Action = Love

Subject = I

Object = She (= whom)

* Objects can be omited without changing the sense of the sentence.

3) He is the guy who sold the car.

Pronoun = who

Relative clause = Who sold the car

Main Action = Sold

Subject = he ( =who)

Object = the car

4) He is the guy whom we saw in the car

Pronoun = Whom

Relative clause = we saw in the car

Main Action = Saw

Subject = we

Object = he (= whom)


Who an whom refer to a person.
Person
Though who is the subject of the clause, while whom is the object.

The subject is the one who executes the main action.

The object is the element which suffers the main action.

See more examples

1) Mary is the lady who will talk to you in a minute.

Pronoun = who

Relative clause = who will talk to you

Main Action = talk

Subject = Mary ( = who )

Object = you.

2) Mary is the one to whom I will talk.

Pronoun= Whom

Relative clause = to whom I will talk

Main action = talk

Subject = I ( I will talk)

Object = Mary (whom)

No comments:

Post a Comment