Saturday, May 23

Verb Patterns

Verb patterns are the different ways ( or patterns) that verbs are going to be, when placed together. This happens when a verb follows the other, so the form of the second verb, will depend on the first one.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/ , I extracted some patterns, but here, we will focus on verb + ing, and verb + infinitive.

Accordingly to BBC's site, we have, among others, the following patterns:

Verb + to + verb:

"(...) you don't understand/
How it
feels to love a girl someday (...)".

Verb + verb + ing:


"(...)We must stop pretending(...)"


Verb + preposition + verb +ing

"When Should I Think About Doing a PIA?"

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pgol-pged/piatp-pfefvp/course1/mod4/mod4-2-eng.asp

Verb + object + verb:

"Something has to make you run."

Some verbs change their meaning, if they change their patterns. We listed here some examples:


Eg.: like, hate, regret.

I like to do = I think it is a good idea to do this

I like doing = I enjoy the activity. It gives me pleasure

I hate to do= I am sorry to do

I hate doing = I do not like this

I regret to do- I am sorry to do

I regret doing- I did, in the past, and I am sorry that I did that.

Remember to do = obligation
Remember doing = past event

Try to do= something attempted,which might fail or
succeed
Try doing= making an experiment or new experience.


To be continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment